Wednesday, October 28, 2009

prevu

prevu is an extremely handy tool for backporting and I am hoping to use it extensively in my efforts.

The first thing I did was to clean a 30 gig partition of my drive and install Ubuntu Studio 8.04 and install all the updates.

Next I installed prevu with:
sudo apt-get install prevu

The next step was to add the source repository from Juanty. This is important because prevu will build the most current available version of your application through this repository. Therefore, I opened my /etc/apt/sources.list by typing:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

and added the following to the bottom:
# Adding jaunty sources for prevu
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty main restricted universe multiverse

This allows you (and more importantly prevu) to download the source packages from the main, restricted, universe, and multiverse repositories for jaunty.

Next I needed to initialize prevu by typing:
sudo -E prevu-init

Wait a while while it does its thing. Then it will ask if you want to add the .deb's you create as a repository. I answered yes.

This will allow you to either apt-get install or use synaptic to install the newer version applications into your older (but very stable) LTS version of Ubuntu Studio. And remove them also when necessary with apt-get or synaptic.

That's it for installing and initializing prevu. Next I'm going to document building libffado.

0 comments:

Post a Comment